Tuesday 26 May 2015

Been a while.

It's been a while, over a year in fact, since I managed to fire up this blog and attempt to write anything down. Today I was trying to cast my mind back to the last time and whether my daughter had been born. I was surprised to find that she was about four months old when I last posted. No recollection of it. Mind you I struggle to remember much of the first six months. Serious sleep deprivation.

As a parent I feel that I have come out of the fog and in my teaching career I now find myself as an established head of department. I've made quite a few big changes and they are now coming to fruition. Things are going well and the powers that be at the school seem to like what I am doing. I still have the feeling from time to time that I am about to be found out for something that I have failed to do or done really poorly. I think that feeling remains for me in a job until it is immediately replaced by total boredom and a feeling that I need to move on.

One reason I rarely update this page aside from being ridiculously busy/tired all the time is that I have so much fun at school. My department is brilliant and we have all the laughs every day. Being experienced as a teacher and as a head of department comes with the knowledge of what needs to be done and what is bullshit and can be ignored. It allows you to bend rules just enough in order to get the atmosphere just right. I think we have it now and it feels great.

My classroom has a fridge/freezer, a microwave, a kettle, a toaster and a coffee machine. I'm reasonably confident that none of this is allowed but nobody has said anything about it and my coffee machine chunters away during classes brewing up for the day. Despite all these mod cons it's nice to get back to traditional techniques. One time after school myself and my colleague Mr. S decided to cut slices of bread from a loaf on the band saw and use the vacuum former grill to make toast. I find food always tastes better when you've lovingly made it by hand don't you?

My additions and anecdotes have come down to the odd scrawled sentence on a post it note that languishes in my wallet. Sometimes I look at it and have no idea what the sentence refers to. I'm about it get it out and have a look now so hopefully there is something of interest there otherwise this may be my last post for a year or so...




No comments: