Monday 17 May 2010

Bird brain

A bird flew into my classroom one afternoon last term.

Imagine if you will the scene. The bird flew in (it was a Starling I think).

The kids went utterly, utterly mental.

I mean properly bonkers.

The bird flew smack into a window at the far end of the room. Then it did a loop of the room to more bedlam from the kids.

It hit the other window even harder. Louder screams.

I had to make them all leave five mins before the end of the lesson as the poor bird was petrified by their screaming.

Now I know that I am a teacher and they are students and that this should make it clear to me that I am no longer 14. But I don't think one single incident at school has highlighted just how far I have come since I was their age.

It made me kind of nostalgic for the olden days.

I can remember a bird flying into our class when I was young and it was the best and most hilarious thing that had happened all year.

Times have changed.

Incidentally despite my fears the bird was fine and I managed to put it out the window where it flew away on it's own.

No comments: